Pages

3 Nov 2014

First Attempts at Sewing

Lately I've been doing something a little different, and have been trying my hand at sewing. I have always wanted to sew, and can even envision maybe sewing halloween costumes for if I have kids one day, but I started to think that it was never going to happen because all of my past attempts have been really unsuccessful. Really, I had given up on sewing, and if it wasn't for my sister who can both knit and sew incredibly well, I don't think I would have tried sewing again. 

My sister is both incredibly supportive, and persuasive, she mentioned that if I knew how to sew I would be able to make cozy wool skirts that really wouldn't look the same at all if they were knit, and that was enough for me. We went to the fabric store and picked up some wool fabric, and then she helped me with every step of making this skirt, and now it's done! I'm so incredibly excited that I actually sewed a garment, and it worked out.


The finished skirt!! While I was making the skirt I figured that it would look like a learning project and that I would never wear it, but it turned out so well that I actually think I will wear it quite often!


While sewing this skirt my sister and I also realized that my aging, very basic sewing machine was probably reaching the end of it's life. At least the end of it's life with me. The fabric just wasn't feeding very nicely, and certain things were just not possible to do with that machine, so we did a little research and I ended up getting a new machine! 

This is the Singer Fashion Mate 7256, and I absolutely love it. It is much quieter and smoother than my last machine an it has a ton of fun stitches to choose from as an added bonus. I think I'll be using this machine for a really long time.


Playing around, trying out some of the decorative stitches.


It's actually been really nice to kind of have a second hobby so that I can walk away from knitting for a few hours, and then come back to it refreshed. Not that I can take too many breaks though as Christmas is fast approaching. I'm hoping though to have enough time to make a cute Christmas-y skirt soon so I can wear it when the Christmas season really kicks off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.